Sunday, July 20, 2008

1812 Overture!

Friday night Mom, Dad, Granny, Uncle Don, Aunt Judy, Joseph, Bonnie, and I went up to Park City to meet Zach and Brian for dinner. Brian won a trip from his work and they were staying at a nice lodge there. We ate some delicious Thai food, the name of which I cannot pronounce or even remember. After dinner we went back to the lodge and played Rook. Joseph, Bonnie, and I stayed to play a game of Phase 10 after the others drove back to Provo, but we ended up stopping the game when it got late and everyone got sick of playing. Saturday night Mom, Dad, Ashley, and I went right back up to Park City to attend the opening of the Deer Valley Music Festival. The Utah Symphony performed a variety of songs and it was a fantastic night of music. My favorites were the Olympic Fanfare and Theme, Piano Man, the Tribute to Elvis, and of course the 1812 Overture. They even had real cannons for the Overture.

With Dad at the lodge

Dad, Zach, and Joseph outside the lodge

Playing Rook

These are the cannons they used during the 1812 Overture. They may have been small but they were pretty loud.

If you pay $60 per ticket you can sit in the seats near the stage. Personally I think it's much more fun to lay out a blanket and watch the show picnic style.

Mom and Dad

The wheels on that cannon are original wheels from the Civil War. That man let Ashley and me come into the cannon area and he talked to us about the cannons.

He let me wear his hat too!
The four of us relaxing on our blankets. Everyone brings food and games. One group even had a blender (must have been battery-powered) to make martinis.
Keeping the sun off my face. Look at the kid next to me. That was me 15 years ago. This particular cannon looked the best to me. The only distraction was the gay couple sitting in front of us. They weren't shy. Sunset at Deer Valley During the Tribute to Elvis a lot of us got up and danced to the music. Mom decided it was a good time for a nap.

 

2 comments:

Liz said...

That all looks like so much fun!! I was laughing all through your descriptions (you 14 years ago and mom sleeping during the dancing). Oh, and you look superb in a top hat! :)

Liz said...

I love the video! It took me a while to get back to this post to watch it, but I did love it. I especially love the guy in front of you who is directing and dancing with his hands throughout. :) I bet it was moving being there in person.