Sunday, February 8, 2009

Seagulls Can Walk On Water

I took Friday off this week and decided to visit the National Air and Space Museum located near my house.  I had fun looking at the planes and learning a few things.  They have an IMAX theater there so I watched a movie called "Fighter Pilot."  It's about a big training exercise our pilots go through in Nevada with lots of other fighter pilots from around the world.  I really enjoyed it and I practically had the theater to myself.  I think there were three other people in there with me.
Friday afternoon I went down to the Senate building to Senator Bennett's office.  One of his staff members was going to give me a tour of the capitol building.  Because of the craziness going on with the stimulus package she wasn't able to do it.  But we did meet up later on for dinner at a yummy Mexican restaurant near the capitol building.
We went back to her place after dinner and watched "March of the Penguins." What a great documentary!  I think we can all learn from the penguins about how to share in the marital responsibilities. :)



How nice would that be?!  Flying from Los Angeles to Washington D.C. in 1 hour, 4 minutes!  I can't wait for the day when our passenger planes are flying that fast.
Shot of the Capitol at Sunset
Caleb, Soren, Anders, and Ari (my nephews), I want emails from all of you telling me why these birds can walk on top of the water.  Jude, you're a little young to be writing emails.  You get out of this assignment.
On Saturday, Afton and I wandered around the National Mall all day visiting different places.  The temperature was perfect (I think it was around 55-60 degrees and sunny).
Looking out over the Mall, with the Lincoln Memorial way back there.
Hey Lizzie/Jarem, I can't wait for the day when one of your photos ends up in a museum out here...maybe the Portrait Gallery or the Museum of Natural History (where this photo resides).  They had an animal photo exhibit in one part of the museum with a bunch of prize-winning shots of animals.  This one is my favorite.  The photographer waited near a pride of lions in Africa.  The lioness sprinted right past the guy to join the other lions.  We saw the Joseph Smith and Brigham Young portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, and they have a Lincoln portrait section right now as well for Lincoln's birthday.  They also have a room with large, close-up face shots of Angelina Jolie, Jack Nicholson, Obama, McCain, and others.
The Hope Diamond in the Museum of Natural History
In front of the Supreme Court building.
Library of Congress.  I need to go back and get pictures of the inside.  It's beautiful!  I also need to write down some of the quotes that line the inside.  Great stuff.
What a cool statue!  Check out those "Shrek" hands.
Near the end of our wanderings, we went up to the top of the Washington Monument and looked out over the whole city.  The windows aren't the cleanest in the world, but the view sure is neat.
Looking down at the White House

6 comments:

Liz said...

Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen dead, brown grass. :0) Looks like you had fun. I can't wait to have some wanderings of our own with you on the East Coast. I'll be sure to have Soren post a comment about the birds as soon as I can get him to get off his bike and come inside. :0)

Liz said...

P.S. I LOVE that sunset shot of the Capitol. Very beautiful. And that curvy, bubbly statue is awesome. I want one. :0)

Liz said...

unkl danyl,

the wotr iz frozin.

luv,
soren

Liz said...

P.S. The answer, the typing, and the spelling are all him. I didn't help him AT ALL. Amazing, isn't it?!

Sara said...

Ari says "ooh, uncky dino, water, bird"!! And now he's saying, "Um wha mommy doin?" In other words, he loves the pictures and the video, and he thinks the birds on the frozen water is really cool. And tomorrow he'll want to look at your blog a million times all over again, and the next day, the next...haha. Better keep updating it for mommy's sake!

Marcia said...

Soren is just too precocious. That was priceless. Better save it for his journal.

Enjoyed your tour. What a great place to be.