Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday the 13th and Valentine's Day

I woke up at 4:00 in the morning on Friday, did my little workout and got ready, and I drove a little over two hours down south to Williamsburg, Virginia.  Because I arrived over an hour before Colonial Williamsburg opens, I walked around the little recreated city before the tourists arrived.  It was nice and quiet, and still very pretty even though it's winter time right now.  The weather cooperated nicely this weekend as well. 


I wonder if the Colonials really had blue, shaded spectacles with UV protection
After a few hours of hanging out in Colonial Williamsburg I met up with Rocky and we drove 3 1/2 hours down to Raleigh, North Carolina, to attend the temple.  Thanks to pretty light traffic (and a little bit of speeding...just a little bit though) we made it there with just enough time for me to throw on a shirt and tie and get inside for the session.  After two more hours sitting in the temple we drove the 3 1/2 hours back up to Hampton (which is where Rocky lives), VA.  I was sitting for about 11 hours on Friday.  Too much!  But it was all worth it.
Yesterday I spent the whole day wandering around Yorktown, Jamestown, and back to Colonial Williamsburg.

Glass blower at Jamestown Settlement


Ha!  I love it!  We should do something like this today.
Wow!  I can't believe how many people died when they first started coming over here.  It makes me very grateful for our modern medicine.

Last night I went to a multi-stake Valentine's Day dance at the Marriott Hotel in Newport News, VA.  Elder Marriott let the singles use this room for free.  The event was well-planned and a lot of fun.  Way to go, Rocky!
A few of the people I met at the dance.  Drew (blue), Tiffany....I think that's her name (orange), and Antoine...not sure how to spell his name (black.....I'm talking about his shirt color). Antoine is training to make the 2012 USA Olympic boxing team.  Cool dude.  He is also learning about the LDS (Mormon) Church right now.
Rocky (on right), her brother, and her brother's fiance
I should have taken this picture later on when that thing was full of comments
Doing the Macarena

2 comments:

Aleca Rose said...

thats cool that you went to North Carolina, that is where my husband is from. We were just there during christmas and new years. Beautiful isn't it? You seem to be enjoying your life traveling to lots of places and seeing a lot of different things. thats awesome. Enjoy while you can.

Liz said...

Yay! I love pictures and video. You seem so far away, but then I watch videos and see pictures and know you're just an email or phone call away. My boys really want to see their Unkey Dino. I do too. We should really plan a trip out there so that I can get some gorgeous East Coast pictures and my boys can see a little more of the world then their own backyard. Were you in that last video doing the Macarena? I couldn't tell. Keep exploring! Love you tons.