Monday, March 9, 2009

Orlando/Miami

Friday morning I flew down to Orlando and took a taxi to the Orlando Temple. I spent the whole afternoon working at the temple. What a perfect afternoon! Beautiful temple, beautiful weather, and a great spirit. After the temple I caught a taxi to the Orlando bus terminal and got on a bus heading to Miami. The ride lasted about 3 1/2 hours. Jake was waiting for me (in a convertible) when I was dropped off at the Sea View hotel.  
Saturday morning we woke up and went to the Gold's Gym at Miami Beach where Jake worked for years as a personal trainer.  We exercised a bit and then had breakfast at a little Cuban joint next to the gym.  I had an omelet, potatoes, and some really good bread, along with fresh-squeezed orange juice.  After breakfast we walked down to the beach near Jake's place and relaxed in the sun.  I had lots of sunblock on and I only took my shirt off for a few minutes. :) This white boy doesn't do the sun-tanning thing.
Now imagine going from the temple one day to a slightly (haha) different place the next day. We spent Saturday afternoon at South Beach in Miami.  If any of you know about South Beach, it's probably one of the worldliest (is that a word?) places I've been to in a long time.  I'm not sure I've ever seen so much skin in my life.  There are plenty gays and lesbians (or if you want to be politically correct, they would be people who practice the "alternative lifestyle") and there are also lots of people whose gender is hard to guess.  I'm sure they all loved my BYU shirt.  When we passed one particular group of not-so-manly men, they made a comment about Mormons. 
We walked in some of the stores and looked at $800 shirts and other such modestly-priced items.  Yep, our economy is definitely suffering.  Jake and I had fun people-watching and enjoying the perfect weather.
What in the world?!  People drive up and down the street along the beach in their fancy (and some not-so-fancy) cars, showing off their money (or lack thereof).  Who puts rims like that on an old Nissan Maxima?  Makes for a great picture.


I shouldn't laugh at another man's misfortunes, but when you're driving up and down the street showing off your stuff, it's kind of funny when that fancy stuff doesn't function properly.  You should have seen the smoke when it first blew.

This is the former Versace (a famous fashion designer) mansion.  They turned it into a hotel sometime after he was killed right outside this place.
With Jake at South Beach
Jake, the rapper
We stopped at a little place along the beach to grab something to eat and Jake got a picture with Rihanna
On Sunday, Jake came to the Miami Beach Singles Branch with me. 

 



I had a great time on my first trip to Florida.  Jake wouldn't let me pay for anything and he made sure I was having fun the whole time.  Thanks for everything, my friend!

4 comments:

Marcia said...

It is snowing heavily in Provo right now, so I am drooling at all your sunny Miami pictures. Looks like you and Jake had a great time. He's a good friend.

Anonymous said...

How is it that you are always able to get away on fun trips? I'm tired of the cold here and am a little jealous, but glad you had fun. Way to wear a BYU shirt on that beach.

Liz said...

Ha ha ha! Rockin' the Mormon vibe. Love it. Hey, it's not like Mormons have never been mocked before. History has a way of repeating itself, right? :0)

So, I'm with mom, those sunny pictures are gorgeous. Or rather, I'm drooling over you guys wearing short sleeves. We've been having gorgeous, sunny weather, too, but not warm enough to venture out in a t-shirt (though Anders runs outside naked daily). :0)

variedinterests said...

Hey, it's Jake! He looks great. I wish you could have carried a greeting from me. Ah, hot nights in Iraq. Good times they were ey?