Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Texas, Kansas, and Nebraska

Friday morning I went to Dulles airport to catch a flight out to Kansas. We boarded the plane and waited 30 minutes before they came over the intercom and told us all we would have to get off the plane and board a different plane because the one we were on was having electrical problems. About an hour later we boarded our "new" plane, which was just as rundown as the original one (good old American Airlines still using planes from the 80s). We arrived in Dallas at 10:00AM, the exact time that my connecting flight to Manhattan (Kansas) was taking off. I went to an AA representative and asked about getting on another flight. They didn't have any until the next morning, so they paid for me to stay in the Marriott Hotel with three free meals. During this time I remembered that BYU was playing TCU in the Dallas Cowboys stadium that night. It was the first time in my life that I wasn't completely depressed about missing a flight and being stuck somewhere. I also found other BYU fans in the hotel. One of them lives in Dallas and he offered me a ride to and from the game that night (a taxi would have cost $50 one way). Three of us went to the game and had a great time despite BYU's sloppy performance.

That stadium is very impressive.

I finally made it to Kansas the next morning. Mary picked me up from the airport and we drove up to the Winter Quarters temple in Nebraska.

Howard Egan is my relative. I found this quote in the Mormon Trail Center at Winter Quarters.





We also visited Fort Riley, passing through the town of Ogden on our way.




I hope I can be described like that when I die.

Kansas State Wildcats

When I arrived in Manhattan (they call it the Little Apple) I thought I was coming into a very small town. I didn't realize that Fort Riley AND Kansas State University are both located in Manhattan, which brings the total population of the city to around 75,000 (I think). Definitely not a small town.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the stained glass windows of the temple. It's a pretty area.

You look good, too. mom

Liz said...

Sounds like a wild ride, but just up your alley. Glad you had a good time regardless of the plane issues (or maybe because of them?). :D