Friday, December 2, 2011

Hawaii - Day 1 - Pearl Harbor / Dole Plantation / Sunset Beach

After a 25-hour trip (with a 9-hour layover in LA because of mechanical problems with the plane) I finally made it to Hawaii. When I boarded the plane from LA to Honolulu, the guy next to me asked if I would switch seats with a girl he had just met, because he was "hoping to get laid in Hawaii." I politely declined because I had the aisle seat on an exit row (for a six-hour flight)....and I'm not exactly in the business of supporting the pursuit of immorality. I befriended the guy and told him all about Mormons. He couldn't get over the fact that for the first time in his life he had met a 32-year-old virgin, and he apologized for asking that I help him get laid. We had a good chat and he ended up watching my movie with me on my laptop.
I picked this up at the car rental location. Look at the very top. Oh, and Dollar Car Rental had to stay open until 2:00AM, when our flight came in. They usually close at midnight.
Pearl Harbor
There were a lot of BYU football players at Pearl Harbor, taking some time off before the big game tomorrow.
Burial site of over 1100 Seamen who went down with the USS Arizona on December 7th, 1941.
I drove over to take a ride on the Pineapple Express and eat their popular pineapple ice cream.



Sunset Beach - North Shore
They had a little surfing competition going on, but you need a fancy camera with HUGE lenses in order to get any decent photos.
Pretty nice day 1. The weather was beautiful. I'm still fighting a cold, but I can't ask for a better place to deal with it. We're off to camp on the beach for the night.

4 comments:

Sara said...

You need Jarem with you....fancy camera and all. :) I love the pictures and comments! Keep on posting...

Anonymous said...

You are as tall or taller than the BYU players, but definitely slimmer.

It is aisle seat, not isle seat. You had isle fever I guess, heading to one.

Your pictures bring back memories for Dad and me. We rode the pineapple express and enjoyed that delicious pineapple ice cream, too. Didn't sleep on the beach though and don't ever plan to. Mom

Liz said...

Your airplane story is funny. Your pictures are awesome! Your vacation plans even more so. Mom is hilarious. Jarem is second in line to me with my fancy camera and all. :)

You didn't say how the pineapple ice cream was? Good? Yuck?

Can you name any of the football players in your picture with you?

Glad you're having a good time! Keep the pictures coming!

Daniel said...

Mom, thanks for the English lesson. I seem to leave the "a" off that word quite often.

I won't sleep on the beach again either. I forgot why I don't camp. The ground is too hard for my non-BYU-football-player body.

Lizzie, the pineapple ice cream was good, but nothing I would rave about. You can probably get it back there. Nope, I can't name any of the BYU players with me. :)