Thursday, April 26, 2012

England - Day 6 (Dobcross, Ashton-Under-Lyne, Dukinfield, Stalybridge)

 Sorry Mom, I'm not exactly encouraging Dad to eat healthy food this trip.  But the fish & chips (and peas) were good!  Peas are healthy. :)
 Inside one of the churches we visited.  Love that scripture.
We sure are grateful for our "sat-nav" (that's what they call the GPS here - satellite navigation), but I agree with the poster.


A short story to illustrate how kind the people are here:  A little old man almost ran us over today.  He was waiting to pull out onto the street and we were crossing the street.  He was looking the other way and started to pull out.  He bumped Dad, which probably scared him more than it did us.  I gave him a mean look and told him to watch where he was going.  He rolled down his window and started saying things in an accent so thick I couldn’t understand anything.  I thought he was mad at us.  As we walked toward our car we noticed the little old man coming toward us in his little red car.  He started apologizing and asking if we were ok.  He said that has never happened to him before.  I instantly felt bad about my reaction.  I think we understood 75% of what he said.  I love the accents in these small towns (this particular incident happened in Mottram).  Instead of driving off in shame (or anger), he took the time to circle back around and apologize to us.  That’s just one small example of the kindness we’ve experienced during our travels throughout this country.

I’ve also been impressed with the driving here.  The drivers are courteous, they don’t hang out (read: drive slow) in the fast lane, they let me in when I’m trying to get onto the road in heavy traffic, etc.  I say “Cheers!” to the people of the British Isles.

2 comments:

Liz said...

DAD! DON'T BE INFLUENCED BY THE FOOD DEVIL (aka Daniel). He talks a healthy talk, but . . . ew! :D (Just kidding, Daniel. You know I love you!)

Awww. What a sweet little driver man.

MORE VIDEOS! (The boys love them)

Marcia said...

Peas are healthy? I don't think so, too much sugar. Cool about the courteous Brits.