Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Monday

This morning I woke up early and went running along the Sea of Galilee. I ran in Tel Aviv at sea level and really enjoying the easy breathing, so I wanted to try running at the Sea of Galilee (around 800 feet below sea level) to see if it would be even easier running below sea level. It was about the same.

We drove by Jericho today, the oldest city in the world. We visited the Qumran caves where the Dead Sea scrolls were found.

We stopped at the Dead Sea, the lowest point on the surface of the earth. I don't remember floating in the Dead Sea as a child, so this was a really neat experience. It was so funny to lie back in the water and float without any effort.

We went to Masada and heard how the 960 Jewish zealots preferred suicide in the fortress rather than suffer the indignity of surrender to overwhelming Roman forces.

After a full day of traveling we drove over the hills into Jerusalem and what a feeling! I spent years growing up here and it is so cool being back. It's also quite a bit cooler (temperature) than Tel Aviv and the Sea of Galilee.

One of our tour coordinators, 'Ala'

Hey Dad, I'm raising Jarem from the Dead....See!

The ramp the Romans built to attack the Jewish zealots at Masada

Trying to feed the ibex at Ein Gedi

Jarem says, "Look, no hands and only one leg."

Floating with Mom at the Dead Sea

Walking (or hopping) into the Dead Sea

At Masada

At one of the old churches we visited

1 comment:

Liz said...

Don't you just love your new camera? I've been sitting here admiring your sharp, vivid photos. I love all the pictures. They bring back memories for me, too. I'm glad you guys are having fun.