Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tuesday

Today we started out by visiting the traditional site of the upper room where Jesus and His disciples had the last supper. Our group sang a hymn inside the room and I think even the other tourists enjoyed the Spirit there.

We went to the oldest Christian church in the world (in Bethlehem), the Church of the Nativity, and we had to wait in line for about two hours to see the site where some people believe Jesus was born. It wasn't worth the wait.

Yad Vashem was pretty neat. It is the official memorial to the 6 million Jews who died in the Holocaust in Europe. I didn't get any pictures because they told us cameras were not allowed inside (although I saw a couple of people with cameras inside), but it was a humbling experience. They also have a memorial to the children who died in the Holocaust, which is just a large dark room you walk through with reflections of small lights that seem to go on forever, and a voice reads the names of murdered Jewish children.

Because of the long wait at the Church of the Nativity we didn't do the other things that were planned for today.

Dad gave a nice presentation tonight on how the BYU Jerusalem Center came about. We get to visit the center tomorrow or the next day. I can't wait!

Nice Jewish Boys

2 comments:

Liz said...

Ha ha ha! Great pictures! I love the coke shirts with the kippahs (spelling??). :) I'm jealous that you get to visit the Jerusalem Center tomorrow. Wish I could be there!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Daniel, I loved all your pictures and I am very excited to share them with family! We leave tomorrow the 10th for our family vacation in san diego! I love you! Tiffanie D